Monday, July 21, 2008

What was I thinking?

I have been blessed in life to have some amazing friends and family members. For some reason, though, I've dated some people who really have not been good for me and who make me feel bad about myself. Why on Earth would I do this? Now, don't get me wrong. I've dated some very nice guys (and the current fella is so wonderful and a wonderfully amazing match for me, it's quite uncanny), but I've dated some people who just weren't very nice.

Now, it would probably shock these people to death to hear me say that they weren't nice or that they treated me badly. The reason for this is that many of them are, themselves, wounded, and that is why they treated me so shabbily. You see, it goes like this. Dude dates Colby. Dude has issues about himself. Dude turns these issues around to make them about Colby and how Colby doesn't measure up. Colby feels bad because of these issues and momentarily forgets that the real problem is Dude and Dude's issues. Then, Dude and Colby break up. Dude plays pitiful victim role and Colby feels super bad. But then Colby remembers that the problems included Dude and his issues, and he made her feel bad about herself anyway. So, Colby moves on and tries to find better guy. However, Dude often tries to hold on, continuing to make Colby feel bad. This is why Colby must shake off the haters and find happiness and satisfaction in spite of these Dudes. After all, living well is the best revenge one could ever have.

No comments: